LIVE! on TPOK Radio
Stereo-Typed with AuntieSocial
Stereo-Typed is an educational research-based internet radio show that examines the beliefs about and within Alternate Sexuality cultures. We strive to dispel stereotypes and myths so people are freer to enjoy their own sexuality, whatever that may entail.
- Stereo-Typed started broadcasting in mid-July, 2016
- Listen live on TPOK Radio via Spreaker (Every second Wednesday at 7 PM ET)
- If you would like to hear the show more often, become a member of the Sugar Daddy Collective on Patreon. I need your support to move to a weekly broadcast schedule.
- Download past episodes on Spreaker or iTunes
- The Handy Dandy Episode Guide
I want to go weekly! I really do!!
In order to do that, I need your support. Please consider becoming part of my Sugar Daddy Collective by supporting this blog and the show on Patreon. Click on the big orange button in the sidebar (or the following link) to go directly to the Stereo-Typed Patreon page. You can also help me out by visiting my Amazon store to find the books featured on the show.
What’s this all about then?
There is a lot of misunderstanding surrounding what we do and who we are. Sometimes, these misconceptions give us a chuckle at our local dungeon, but sometimes, the broad-stroke generalisations cause confusion or even alienation.
Our communities have a history. We have traditions. We also have our own lexicon. Words have meanings and sometimes our words have special meaning within our culture. Not all kinksters are alike and some of us may do things that others just don’t understand.
Generalisations all over the place
- Everyone who hears words like “Bondage”, “Discipline”, “Sadomasochism”, and other terms we use to describe what we do and who we are, approaches them with their own ideas of what those words mean (preconceptions). You may have had an idea of BDSM that came from fantasy or popular cultural references if you think back to when you were new.
- You may have discovered that these ideas, or how others (even within the community) view your predilections aren’t an accurate representation of your experience. (misconceptions)
- If you have spent any time reading the stories and journal entries or looking at the pictures on FetLife, you may have picked up on some sweeping generalisations of how certain roles are supposed to behave (generalisations).
- You have probably heard about the correct way or the old way. You will see laments about “the scene these days“. While some of that may be true, does it automatically follow that their experience is the only way? (one-true-wayisms)
- You have probably noticed that some words are interchangeable … but, are they really? (conflated language).
And, what about those vanillas? What do they think of us, of what we do? Are they really as prudish and judgemental as they are portrayed in the annals of FetLife? These questions are also generalisations, in themselves, because we can’t take a broad-stroke approach to any group of people without creating or perpetuating a stereotype.
Come, listen, learn!
Join me, AuntieSocial, and my occasional guests so we can unravel some of these myths together.
Think of Stereo-Typed as the Kinky Myth Busters … except I don’t get to blow shit up.
Have your say!
I am always looking for the next topic. If you know something that you think we don’t know about Alternative Sexuality then let me know. Visit the Guest Wanted page for details on the kind of things I’m currently looking for. Also, if your topic isn’t listed, get in touch with me anyways. That list is only a guideline. I am a naturally curious person (and so are my listeners).